Friday, August 19, 2011

The Blank Page

"Each time I write a book, every time I face that yellow pad, the challenge is so great. I have written eleven books, but each time I think, 'Uh, oh, they're going to find out now. I've run a game on everybody and they're going to find me out."   -- Maya Angelou


I've been mentally gearing up for my second and final school year in my MFA program at USF--preparing to complete the first drafts this semester toward my creative project/manuscript (to total 130-200 pages). After a glorious summer that included camping in the Eastern Sierra and Southwest,  three plays in Ashland, a visit to my nephews in MD, and a family reunion of 109 in Cleveland, I returned yesterday to my day job with the teen parents and their little ones. With writing deadlines looming (including a preview of a local play for Patch and some editing work on the side), I can hardly believe it's already time to dive back in!

And while I've barely penned one book, it eases my mind to know that even legendary writers like Angelou struggle with the challenge of facing each blank page and beginning anew.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...